Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

Can I learn to be grateful for bad things that DIDN'T happen?

My boyfriend was so excited to see me today. Much more excited than usual.
I sent a text earlier today letting him know I was leaving my office so we could estimate what time we would do dinner. What I didn't realize was that I had started the text with "I'm leaving LA." When he read it, he immediately thought I had hit my limit, packed the car, and was LEAVING LA.
He said it felt like he awoke from a bad dream, relieved to find out it was only a dream and there was no big problem to solve, no big heartache to face.
It made me realize how many Don'ts and Didn'ts I have to be grateful for.

I didn't find out that anyone I love died today.
I didn't come home to a sick dog.
I don't have a bill in my mail box that I can't pay.
I don't have a stomach ache, a head ache, a cold or the flu.
My legs don't hurt. My hips don't hurt. I did not trip and break my ankle.
I didn't miss a really important appointment.
I didn't bomb a really big audition.
I don't have to get up at 4am tomorrow.
I don't have to evacuate.
I didn't get denied insurance.
My power didn't go out. Nothing is rotting in my fridge.
I didn't burn my arm, or stub my toe.
I don't have to have scary surgery tomorrow.

I am so grateful for so many Don'ts and Didn'ts today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment